May 20, 2020 – Coronavirus Update – SBA PPP Status Update – Click here for details.
Dear Essex Savings Bank Customers/Families,
For the health and well-being of our clients and staff, we are continuing to monitor the latest news about COVID-19 (Coronavirus). Due to the rapid progression of this virus, Essex Savings Bank is operating expanded drive thru services and is available by phone, email and online. While our lobbies are closed, we are continuing to meet with customers requiring in person assistance, such as access to their safe deposit boxes, or on an appointment basis. To provide safety and separation as directed by the state, many of our staff have shifted to operating remotely while adhering to essential service needs. In an abundance of caution, we plan on continuing to operate this way for the foreseeable future until more data on the virus tracking and containment is obtained following the opening of businesses. We plan on remaining thoughtful for the health and wellbeing of our customers and staff. Additionally, Essex Savings Bank, Essex Trust and Essex Financial Services fall under the “critical infrastructure workers” as defined by the Department of Homeland Security and continue to operate, as we have throughout this crisis.
Paycheck Protection Program
Essex Savings Bank worked very hard to assist our business customers who had shown an interest in the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). We dedicated the efforts of much of our staff to meet the needs of several years’ worth of loan applications that came in over just a few days during Round 1 of funding. While we were not able to satisfy every business during the first round, we are proud to say we outperformed our peers and larger banks on the dollar amounts and percentage of our processing list. All customers were treated on a first come, first served basis to fairly address the hundreds of requests.
On Monday, April 27th at 10:30 am EST, the SBA re-opened their system to allow Banks to continue processing applications to receive funding. After an initial SBA system breakdown, we were able to attain funding for all submitted applications.
As a community bank, we continue to stand by your side in this unparalleled time of need. Now, we await the details of the forgiveness rules from the SBA. As a reminder, businesses will have to provide documentation to support forgiveness for all or a portion of the approved PPP monies, so we ask that you take care to track this important information from the date that your PPP funds were disbursed. You may be aware that the Loan Forgiveness Application was published this week, however we are currently awaiting more details and guidelines to be provided by the SBA. Once received, we will send you an email from email@example.com outlining the specific information you will need to submit. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
How can I protect myself from scams?
If you receive a suspicious email or text message, don’t respond, or click on links, or open attachments. Please know that we won’t ask for confidential information—such as your card PIN, account numbers, access code or online banking password—if we reach out to you. We have your information.
Economic Stimulus Program
April 15, 2020 marks the first day of the beginning of the roll-out of this program. Here is a link to the IRS site to obtain information on EIP payments
As an account holder, you have many alternative banking channels available to you if you do not wish to utilize the branch drive through. These services include online account viewing, bill pay, transfers, person to person payments, mobile check deposit and more.
- Online banking is available (To register, click here to go to our Online Banking page)
- Mobile banking is available (Visit our Electronic Banking page to download the free Essex Savings Bank app from Google or the App store)
- Apply for a Mortgage Online
- Call (844) 824-9387 for online banking assistance
- Call our 24-Hour Phone Link at (888) 767-0046 for up to date automated account information
- Call us at (860) 767-4414 if you have any other questions
- Contact your employer for your paycheck to be direct deposited
- For businesses, consider applying for remote deposit capture to transmit checks to the Bank from your office and ask us about online wire capabilities
Please continue to keep informed and follow the guidelines of the CDC to help prevent the spread of this illness – https://cdc.gov):
- Clean and disinfect often (in addition to typical cleansers, hydrogen peroxide is effective in combatting the virus)
- Wash your hands using soap and water for at least 20 seconds frequently throughout the day
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home if you are sick (fever, dry cough and shortness of breath are signs of the coronavirus)
- Disinfect your phone and keyboard daily along with any shared devices
- Cover coughs and sneezes
- Wear a face-mask
We appreciate your efforts in preventing the spread of this virus by recognizing the signs of your own health issues. Please call us with your financial needs and questions. We continue to stand ready to assist with your financial needs.
Please continue to visit our website for any updates.
Gregory R. Shook
President & CEO